matz / zetabits.com (Yukihiro Matsumoto) writes:

> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:4809] Some questions"
>     on 00/09/07, Friedrich Dominicus <frido / q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>
> |- is there a reason why there isn't a each_index in String?
>
> Because String is not a indexed container.  You can use
> each_with_index instead.

aren't Strings just Arrays? I have looked into the functions of the
class and among them is self[nth] etc.. The same is there for Arrays
Other things are quite common between them. Both support e.g each but
just Array proviced a each_index. I do think that is inconsistent. Of
course I can make String an Array or the reverse but the share so much
in common and IMHO it makes perfect sense to have a each_index for
Strings that I would like to know why that was left out.

> |- does Ruby do not provide some sort of List (I know Array are quite
> |good enough, just wondering)
>
> You mean linked list?  No, but it's easy to define your own list
>class.

I was just wondering, of course I can implement one myself. But anyway
I do not think it makes very much sense if you have the resizable
Arrays. I was just thinking I have overlooked something.

Regards
Friedrich

--
for e-mail reply remove all after .com