Thu, 22 Aug 2002 01:32:37 +0900, William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj / z.glue.umd.edu> pisze:

> To me several factors influence the "usefulness" of a language:
>     - how long the language has been around (related to bug fixes)

Haskell has 10 years. It has 2 alive implementations (ghc & nhc),
1 maintained but not actively developed (Hugs), and 1 dead (hbc).

>     - number of users (related to getting help)

Small.

Yes, http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ffi/

>     - amount of library (related to practicality)

Not many I think.

>     - execution and memory performance (related to why we should drop C)

Average (it has compilers to native code but the language semantics
make it difficult to produce good code). It's hard to reason about
efficiency, especially memory usage, so unfortunately it's easy to
write inefficient programs.

>     - easy, clean, short, and regular syntax (related to our time :) )

Yes!

--
  __("<      Marcin Kowalczyk
  \__/     qrczak / knm.org.pl