On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:54:53AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > (My concern is, if I
> > really write a Haskell code for a project, then I am stuck with Haskell, I
> > cannot switch parts of it to C.)
>
> You're not stuck with Haskell; you can port it to Ruby.  Or C.

Right.  The main use I've had for functional programming languages these
days is for prototyping.  Once I got comfortable with programming in
OCaml it was ridiculously easy to create baroque data structures and
elegant algorithms to manipulate them, in a fraction of the time it
would have taken to do the same thing in a more low-level language like
C, mainly because I didn't get the headaches that come from pointer
tracing and other pitfalls.  From there, the ideas obtained from the
prototype clarified the process of writing the final C code, which was
far more elegant, maintainable, and understandable, I suspect, than had
I not tried to make the prototype and jumped straight to C.

--
Rafael R. Sevilla <dido at imperium dot ph>	+63(2)8123151
Software Developer, Imperium Technology Inc.	+63(917)4458925