Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 17:25, Robert Warning wrote:
>
>>Okay this isn't exactly a ruby question, but in the near future I want
>>to do a GUI aplication in ruby. Now  two obvious choices that come to
>>mind are tk and gtk. To me tk looks a bit dated (graphics wise not
>>functionally). For instance the new netscape browser look like it was
>>done with Tk (probably valid since Aol owns netscape and they seem to
>>love Tcl/Tk) and it looks kinda ugly. But it has pretty darned easy to
>>learn a great deal about it because I looked in the Perl/Tk book by
>>O'Reilly and it seems pretty straight forward translation from Perl to
>>Ruby. But GTK looks more modern (again graphics wise) and apealling to
>>the eye. Also the tutorial presented for Ruby/GTK is very helpfull. Plus
>>I have had a bit of experience with PHP-GTK (not enough to do much
>>usefull). My question is what are the major pros and cons of Tk and GTK.
>>Sorry if that was a bit off the ruby topic but I didn't know where to ask.
>>

>Netscape is deinitely not done in Tk.  ~,^
>
>But, pros/cons (aside from Ruby specific ones):
>
>Tk is more flexible by far.  Tk is also a lot more portable than GTK+.
>
>GTK+ does indeed look nicer.  In most languages (Ruby's I believe as
>well) the GTK API is more like what you'd expect (All Tk interfaces I've
>seen make the language look like TCL... gross ~,^).
>
>In the end, it depends on a lot on preference and need.  For example, if
>you really don't like the way Tk looks, then use GTK+.  However, if you
>need great portability (i.e., to non-UNIX platforms) you're better off
>staying away from GTK+.  Personally, I'd always go with GTK+ (or full
>GNOME) since that's the desktop I run, and it makes it fit in.  Which
>brings up the fact you could use Qt if you are a KDE person.
>
>The popular Ruby toolkit I see a lot of reference to is FOX.  It's a
>nice C++ library (although it looks like Windows on all platforms, and
>if you could see my desktop, you'd realize I'm not into that plain a
>look ~,^).  You may want to look at that toolkit tho.

Well netscape sure looks like Tk ugliness (down to the menus checkboxes
and that silly scollbar) to me even if it was not done in Tk  :) I use
either GNOME or just Openbox. Since the program I'm planning is done
just for Openbox, I (hopefully ;) won't have a portability problem. Even
if one is a non Gnome user most boxes I've encountered have GTK+ on
them. Oh well I think I'm going to use GTK rather than Tk and I'll look
into FOX too. GTK mainly because I can emulate the Openbox look and feel
better than Tk.