Very well said, Charles.  I completely agree with you.

That's why I really hesitate to start learning Haskell.  It seems Haskell
can only be interfaced with C through some intermediary called "Greed
Card" and not directly as between C and Ruby.  Also one of my colleages
here is learning Scheme.  I still cannot persuade myself to learn Haskell
in particular (why not Scheme, or even Emacs Lisp, which will make my
editor do all the wonderful things?) or a functional language in general.

Regards,

Bill