i believe the final decision was to change it per the overall opinions.
prior to this only a single character string was actually treated as a
string, all others were converted to regexp. now it will be as you have
pointed out: strings will be string and regexps regexps :-)

so:

 "abc".split("\r\n")  # as string
 "abc".split(/\r\n/)  # as regexp

the warning that you saw was put in to let people know about this
change. yes, some older code will have to be touched up.

~transami

p.s. please correct if i misrepresented any of this.

--
~transami