On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 02:36:48AM +0900, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  As someone who's barely touched a Windows system in 4 years, I'm in
> some need of help designed a "simple" script: we have some 100+
> documents saved in MS Word format.  We need them converted to RTF format
> (the Township I work for has a new policy, thanks to my boss and I,
> mandating all publicly available documents must be in portable and,
> preferably, open standard formats).
RTF isn't really an open standard. It isn't fully specified and exporting
RTF from different versions of MS Word often lead to incompatible RTF
files which can't be read by MS Word itself, not saying about different
applications. So in result your documents 'portability' may vary.

>  Anyways... is there a way using the OLE thingy in Ruby (see my grasp of
> Windows terminology) to take a list of files, open and save them as RTF
> in Word, without having to do it manually?  I think there's a whole
> 'nother batch of crud that needs conversion besides just the web-site
> stuff I'm working on now.
There is WIN32::OLE module available in RAA, it allows transparent and
complete control of OLE components using Ruby, and -- with dRuby -- not
only under Windows boxes.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---