----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sugalski" <dan / sidhe.org>

> Folks have already thrown Lisp, OCaml, Prolog, and Japanese into the
> mix, and Smalltalk is always floating around. Given that those are
> reasonably academic languages (Okay, except for Japanese :) I'll add
> a few of the more low-level or odd languages.
>
> [...]
>
> Fortran: Yeah, it's older than you are, but it still can't be beat for speed.

Can I ask why?  People say it all the time, but I point-blank refuse to believe
that it is faster than optimised C.  They're the same bloody thing, aren't
they? - low-level procedural languages.  My knowledge of Fortran is small, but
of course everyone knows it's used for scientific calculations, so it may have
the edge in numerical calculations (infinite precision, ...) but can't you get
a C library that equals it?  If not, why not.  It's all machine language in the
end, and not sufficiently far from that to begin with for me to believe that
the two should be any different.

*breaths out*

> [...]
>
> Dan Sugalski