On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Philipp Meier wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:40:09PM +0900, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> > >     neelix hgs 101 %> /usr/bin/nohup -g -Fa 995
> > >     nohup: cannot control process 995
> > >
> > > Why not?  I had this on another ruby process as well.
> > > Is it something to do with Ruby?
> >
> > Has the process been started from the same shell where you call nohup?
>
> No, it is still in the foreground, but it is one of my shells...

I think I've got this to work:

^Z to stop but not kill the job,
ps -o pid,pgid,tty,s,wchan,args
find the pid and pgid which are the same for the job,  995
nohup -g -Fa 995
which seemed to work,
bg %1
to get the job out of the stopped state into the background,
then logout.

Looking from the other shell it seems to be running.

This is fairly off-topic for ruby (but I wasn't sure at first),
but I hope this info helps someone else.

        Hugh