On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:15:28PM +0900, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is nothing wrong with functional programming in general.  It is only
> for practicality reason.  For example, if we tell our supervisors that we
> are going to develop in C/C++ or Java, there will be no question
> asked.  It is hard enough to convince the use of Ruby to people who are in
> charge of financial matters.  I think in the industry the use of
> functional programming is much less than procedural language; and
> therefore, I think, it is much harder to justify, because my guess is,
> they think if it is not widely used, there must be something wrong with
> it, and why we should use it.  Yes, for ourselves I have no problem at
> all; the problem is only how to convince the people in charge.

To blow away your argument that functional programs are not widely used
in industry:  Ericsson generally standardized on the use of Erlang as
the language of choice for almost all of their internal development.
Besides, what kind of shop are you running, that your finance managers
have the ability to dictate to the engineers how they should do their
job?  I'd think that today's finance managers would understand that the
engineers know what their doing far better than they ever will, and they
shouldn't try to meddle too much in that business.

--
Rafael R. Sevilla <dido at imperium dot ph>	+63(2)8123151
Software Developer, Imperium Technology Inc.	+63(917)4458925