<snip />

I wonder about the value of learning a new language, going in with a
predefined notion of why it is valuable or what makes the syntax good.  For
me, the criteria would lean more towards "not like any other language I've
used," or, "Fairly new, so that it was designed to exploit current
technology and up-to-date CompSci thinking/theory."

Pragmatic versus exotic; use the pragmatic approach in day-to-day work, and
explore exotic tools by night.

James