On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 04:48:46AM +0900, William Pinelo Marin wrote:
> really ?
>
> where is japanese programing language for download ?

Ooops, I'll have to update the FAQ ;-)

If there's enough interest I'll write something on the Ruby Garden Wiki.

*** Where can I download an implementation of the Japanese language?
	It is free? Is it open-source?

Japanese was thoughtfully crafted to run with little (ie "no") resources
but what you already have. There's no download to be made. You already
have all what is needed. The reference implementation is (mostly)
open-source, and has been thoroughly documented.

Several vendors have released distributions of the Japanese language.
The preferred form is the book, but there are several other offers out
there.

You may also receive an intensive (immersion) course of Japanese by
traveling to the land where it is most used (which, by a funny
coincidence, is Japan). There, people love this language so much they'll
hardly use any other! You might find some rubyists, though.

*** How can I do (C code snippet) in Japanese?

Beware! Some languages don't map naturally to Japanese, and attempting
to "translate" directly from other languages will produce deceiving
results.

See http://www.engrish.com for several examples of what happens when you
mix other languages with Japanese.

Another example:

pseudo code in English:
return the value of the successor of the element referred to by a

(sorry but this charset can't show the code in Japanese)
literal translation of the code in Japanese to English pseudo code:
To with A reset the value of the successor of the element which has been
related

As you can see, although you can express it as such in Japanese, it
isn't as elegant as the natural way (it's like using Ruby only in a
procedural way).

--
	Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com