--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:52:41AM +0900, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> I'll assing you Poplog. This will require you to learn POP-11, Prolog=20
> and Common Lisp. I'll give you 5 years for that, but as a final exam=20
> you'll have to write a complete, modular editor, as powerful as=20
> Emacs, based on POP-11 but with full Poplog capabilities (thus=20
> allowing use of Emacs-Lisp code). You may use VED (Poplog native=20
> editor) as a base, and you'll have to implement a VIM emulation layer=20
> on The Beast.
>=20
> Sounds like good homework? :D

I had Robin Popplestone, the creator of POP-1, for my "programming
paradigms" class.  While we didn't actually use POP-11, we did have to
use poplog/VED since the Scheme implementation was "UMass scheme",
written by Popplestone (as I recall), in poplog with VED as the
development environment/interpreter.  I also took the honors section
where we did prolog and ML using, once again, the poplog environment.
That was an experience.  Though it seems to me I may have used SML for
most of my actual work, just making sure the code ran in ved.

I have to say, poplog taken as a whole is already pretty emacs-like,
short of not implementing emacs lisp.  It already has common lisp and
CLOS built in I think, which is probably better anyways.  He
had built an entire automated grading system for the class into it, plus
a whole bunch of other things.  I recall towards the end of the semester
he was working on building some native widgets for VED so it wouldn't
have to use motif.  Interesting class, interesting professor.  Too bad
that he's retired now.

Anyways, sorry for rambling - you just brought back memories.

-kyle

--=20
http://mas.cs.umass.edu/~rawlins
--
The policeman isn't there to create disorder;=20
the policeman is there to preserve disorder.

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--