AW wrote:
> Hi,
> As i get better writing ruby scripts (im pretty new), I often wonder
> if im not exploiting the power of the language or that i'm casting
> precedural language ideas onto my ruby scripts. I have here a little C
> program that would like some of you to Rubi-tize if possible, so that
> i can see how some of you that really know the language use it.

I'm very new, only started looking at Ruby Saturday / Sunday time. I
like it though :)

Without looking at anyones attempts other than the C code, this is my
stab at it.

/-- code --/

# example to print stars to screen
def printStar(location)
	(1...location).each { |x| print " " }
	print "*\n"
end

screenWidth = 78;

if ARGV.size == 1
	# use argument unless its not a int (to_i returns 0 if item not an integer)
	screenWidth = ARGV[0].to_i unless ARGV[0].to_i == 0
end

# forward
1.upto(screenWidth) {|n| printStar(n)}
# back
screenWidth.downto(1) {|n| printStar(n)}