Thanks for the pointers.  Uh oh, this year's language is Haskell.  I am
sorry for broadening the question.  For people who have used Ruby and have
understood Haskell, is Haskell really practical (i.e., we can use it in
our daily professional work), or is it more interesting as just a mind
exercise?  In particular, is it possible to combine Haskell and C  (and
therefore Ruby, C, and Haskell)?

Someone pointed me to Lua before, and he has combined Ruby, C, and
Lua.  Has Lua been considered before?  Or Lua is just too simple?

Regards,

Bill