On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 12:04:35AM +0900, Pat Eyler wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:
>
> > To Andrew Hunt and David Thomas:
> >
> > I think in the book "The Pragmatic Programmer", one of the advices is to
> > learn a new language at least once a year.  Probably for the year 2001 it
> > was Ruby.  Now we are already in August 2002.  Is there any language
> > candidate for this year?
>

> At the pragmatic programmer web site, there is a LoTY project running,
> this year's language is Haskell .... I'm a year behind though and am
> working on Ruby this year.  ;)

My first reaction to the LoTY project was, man you guys
got a lot of free time. :)

I think LoTY is a good idea, but a bit idealistic for me
unless I plan on using the language. I looked at Haskell,
and decided I don't have a use for it. However, I think
that ocaml or squeak may be something that I could use.

Ocaml because it is compilable and fast. Squeak because
of the language and the development environment.

$0.02

--
Jim Freeze
If only I had something clever to say for my comment...