>I am sorry, it is not my intention to have a discussion on defending
>Ruby.  The intention is to gather information on what other good new
>languages out there are worthy to learn, after we know Ruby (hopefully the
>language can be considered to be "better" than Ruby in some specific
>areas, or just simply has totally different approach; hopefully also we
>will not have to consider Lisp-like programming languages).

Well, what about ocaml?
It is a functional language. Quite different approach.
It runs under unix and windows. You can build standalone executables. It
is strongly typed ML-like language. Has bindings to gtk and opengl, and
it has a speed and memory comparable to C/C++.

Another bet is mercury: a typed prolog variant.

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely / mcl.hu,  kgergely / turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net