> PROMPTS = ["First Name", "Last Name", "Phone"]
> first_name,last_name,phone = PROMPTS.map { |prompt | prompt_and_read(
> prompt ) }
>
> I'm sorry, I'm perfectly capable of grokkin that, but there is no way
> (to me) that that example reads better than the initial:
>
> first_name = prompt_and_read "First name"
> last_name  = prompt_and_read "Last name"
> phone      = prompt_and_read "Phone"
>
> The iterator example reads like perl to me, which in and of itself
> isn't bad, but it just seems like using a ruby construct for the sake
> of using a ruby construct.

I'm new to Ruby (so apologies for sounding ignorant) but doesn't the
Ruby example, also show how you might go about doing Internationalization.

Yes it makes it less clear, but it means that it becomes a simple case
of swapping that array PROMPTS for another with say French words and
leaving the rest of the code intact.

Where as the other example would leave you having to track down each of
the quoted strings and changing them.

my 2p

Rob