----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Wilson" <web2ed / yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:10 PM
Subject: Embeding Ruby in C/C++

> I have been reading snippets that people have been saying about Ruby
> not being good for embeding, over and over again in different threads.
>
> I have been planning on writing an application in C++ (boo...hiss) and
> embeding Ruby inside of it.  Basically, I want to write a FAST, RICH
> objectory and expose Ruby to it staticly, then allow my end users to
> use a pure Ruby API to control it.

Objectory?? I don't know that word. Does that mean object respository
or something?

> My question is: is this doable?  I have tried in the past to embed
> Ruby and hit a wall, I have been hoping that this would be resolved as
> Ruby matured.  Is Ruby maturing in the embedable direction?

If you're wanting to control a C++ app via Ruby, SWIG
might be an option. I've never used it personally. I
hear it's great.

As for Ruby maturing in the direction of embeddability,
my guess is that that will happen, but not soon. Not
with 1.8, possibly with 2.0. Ask Matz.

Hal