On 2002.08.20, Mauricio Fern?ndez <batsman.geo / yahoo.com> wrote:
> [regarding a mechanical "RenameMethod" refactoring for ruby]:
> I believe a parser wouldn't be enough:

Agreed: a simple parser wouldn't be enough.  "eval" is one of
many examples where it's non-trivial to discover the correct type
of a Ruby object from source.

The original Smalltalkers dealt with this problem in a simple
way:  Just substitute textually, prompting the user with the list
of effected lines.

To my knowledge, no one has ever written a more effective
RenameMethod for a dynamically typed language.  Probably the
80/20 rule in effect.

 - Ryan King