On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:35:01PM +0900, Minero Aoki wrote:
>   Keiju Ishitsuka has announced his scope-in-state module.
>   This module allows you to restrict an effect of
>   "destructive" library, such as jcode.rb or mathn.rb.
>
>     # e.g.
>     1 / 1       # is 1 (Fixnum)
>     MathnScope.scope_in {
>         1 / 1   # is Rational(1,1)
>     }
>     1 / 1       # is 1 (Fixnum)
>
>   You can get scope-in-state library from RAA:
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=scope-in-state

In what ways does this library differ from dblack's Ruby Behaviors
(http://www.superlink.net/~dblack/ruby/behaviors/)?

>   The purpose of the allocation framework is to get an internal
>   structure of instances from the class (e.g. struct RObject for Object).
>   Currently CLASS.allocate works for it, but it is too easy to
>   modify class methods from Ruby programs.  Result: Ruby programs
>   will become very weak.
>
>   Matz has said that we must reconsider allocation framework itself.

I thought the purpose of the allocation framework was so that I could
intercept the allocation of an object; that is, I could know when an
object was about to be allocated, and I could know when an object had
already been allocated but not yet initialized.

Why would I want to allocate an object but not initialize it?

Paul