Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> writes:

> Richard Ryan <ryanr / 12-253-103-174.client.attbi.com> writes:
>
> > Thank you for the suggestion, but perhaps I should have been more
> > specific about what I really want to do.  The following is closer to
> > what I'm interested in.  It's a very common lick to play in Korn,
> > perl and C and if I have to go through a symphony to do the same
> > thing in ruby then, to paraphrase the great American poet Chuck
> > Berry, I'll lose the beauty of the melody.
>
> Is this along the right lines?
>
>      old_stdout = $stdout.clone
>      old_stderr = $stderr.clone
>      $stdout.reopen("stdout", "w")
>      $stderr = $stdout
>      puts "Hello world"
>      system "ls -l a*"
>      system "ls non_existent_file"
>      $stdout = old_stdout
>      $stderr = old_stderr
>      puts "done"
>

> Cheers
>

> Dave

Hi,

Yes, those are right along the lines I was thinking, and that actually
was the first thing I tried but, and maybe I'm being too picky, if I
put that through irb and check $stderr.fileno I get something other
than 2.  That really  kind of bugs me for some reason.  It just don't
seem right.

Thanks again for any help you can give,
Richard Ryan