On 17 Aug 2002 14:47:35 GMT,
<bbense+comp.lang.ruby.Aug.17.02 / telemark.stanford.edu> wrote:

>- - I think the big problem with most IDE's is that the designers
>  get confused and actually just build a specialized editor.
>  Any IDE worth the name should allow the editor to be a
>  pluggable tool. The fact that you are asking this question

It is impossible to offer a lot of facilities when using an external
editor. Code Navigation tree (or call it function list) and debugger
integration and tooltips (and even refactoring) are not pluggable in a
generic way.

If you want to provide it for a few editors then you
will see that this is economically impossible. There are two many out
there. And the community of hard core vi or emacs persons is to
small. Everyone else is willing to use another editor.

The problem is IMHO that most integrated editors are less powerful.
I need the windows handling from Emacs and the simple way of
macro defining and specificing a prefix count for play back.