----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian D. Baker" <baker.921 / osu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: For Windows users only...

> Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> > At the command line, that is.
> >
> > Problem: When you run a .rb file from the
> > command line, you have to type a (potentially
> > lengthy) command.
> >

> Run msconfig from Start Menu->Run.  Under the "Environment" tab of the
> program that opens, there is a variable called PATH.  The value of path
> is a semicolon delimited list of directories.  Add C:\RUBY\BIN (or
> whatever directory holds ruby.exe on your computer) to the PATH variable
> and apply the changes. You might have to restart, but you won't have to
> type the full path to ruby ever again!

Thanks. I'm well familiar with PATH. But I don't
like typing this sort of thing:

  ruby -Ithis -Ithat -Ithe_other myprog.rb

But I don't want to put *everything* in RUBYLIB,
either.

Basically I was trying to
  1. Just type "myprog"
  2. Get Windows to honor the #! line
  3. Avoid the problems with batch files

I know: I should just run Linux all the time...

Cheers,
Hal