> Are there any "must-haves" for Ruby? Modules, IDEs, etc?
:-) depends on what you call "must-have".
Depends on what you like doing.

IDEs:
I code mostly in emacs and some others in vi(m),
but if you are into big IDEs there is:
- an eclipse plug-in
- the rubyide you mentionned
- RDE (windows only)
http://homepage2.nifty.com/sakazuki/rde_e.html
- RubyWin (windows only)
http://homepage1.nifty.com/markey/ruby/rubywin/index_e.html
.. and probably some others.

I think it is a question of taste and how much you automate.
The thing I like about emacs or gvim is that I can tell it
exactly what todo -- but probably you can do that with
most others .. if only you know how.

I think it is worth your time to look at one editor, say emacs
and force yourself to use it and look up the commands for
one week. You will get very quick and do all from the keyboard
and hardly use the mouse at all.

for "must have"modeles, etc. simply look at:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa.html

Have fun,

--
Armin.

Armin Roehrl, http://www.approximity.com
Training, Development and Mentoring
OOP, XP, Java, Ruby, Smalltalk, Datamining, Parallel computing, Webservices

Rubybuch: http://approximity.com/rubybuch/

Agile Entwicklerkonferenz: 22. und 23.10 in Nnberg.
http://www.approximity.com/public/conferences/AgileConf.html