Thanks for the clarification.

> The term "static" is misleading.  Static (as used in Java and C++)
> refers to stand-alone functions that are in the scope of a class, but
> can be invoked without any reference to an object instance.  No such
> thing exists in Ruby.

This isn't exactly true. The C++ class can have static data members. If you
like, you can call these part of the static object instance. You can call
the functions without a reference to an instance because the compiler
implicitly knows the location of the static instance, still you give the
name of class, just as you do in Ruby. When I use the term static it relates
to the statically allocated nature (or preallocated globally known nature).

Mikkel