Great!

so who's going to start this project?... (no not me, w my age+dumb brain, I
can't even lift my keyboard :-))

I think this would be a killer app. Heck even a text based ruby mail client
will do... as long as the mail client can provide a ruby command line
interface... so I can do like things like: "command: winword
<attachedFile1>" -w/c then opens the attached file using word...

..i think I'm dreaming in my dream...