On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 18:15, Phil Tomson wrote:
> This sounds like it might be a pretty serious application.  Can you give
> us any more details?

sure, it's a unique accounting application geared toward the custom
hardware industry (i.e. high-end sinks, door knobs, towel warmers, yes,
towel warmers, etc.) so it's a vertical market that is in dire need of
something geared for them rather then what's currently out there:
hobbling legacy systems.

rather then use the traditional onsite installation business model, i
will be setting up as an Application Service Provider. I am writing my
app with a three-tier architecture, but i haven't decided whether the
mid-logic tier will sit on my servers or on the client side. (it's much
more network intensive on the server side)

anyway i essentially need database servers, each able to handle anywhere
from 10 to approx. 300 concurrent users. i project to have a client base
of 10,000 cuncurrent users split into groups ranging from 10 to 1000,
each group needing to access the same database. so i may end up with an
installation of 1000 units!

some basic hopes for each machine: IDE ATA/100 RAID 5 with easy access
to drives, power redundency, and low power consumption. today i have
actually been looking at transmeta's developer board, and considering if
i could throw it into my own rackmount chassis and use it! but damn its
hard to find a good 2U microatx rackmount case.

p.s. FYI - the plan, once this thing gets off the ground, is to hire a
ruby programmer (i am dead beat of doing everything myself :-)

--
~transami