In article <1029440451.1779.1649.camel / silver>,
Tom Sawyer  <transami / transami.net> wrote:
>i know this is bit off topic, but since you all are my "computer family"
>i thought you would be the ones to ask.
>
>i am setting up a datacenter to host a ruby application i'm writing. i
>have to figure out what systems to use.
>
>i am debating between Apple's new XServers or more tradiational dual AMD
>rackmount boxes running Debian/Woody (or Gentoo if it proves stable).
>
>can anyone recommend? is Apple Xserver a good way to go? does it support
>Ruby fully (along with DBI and Postgresql)? if i go traditional, which
>hardware vendor is best? is Gentoo stable enough? or should i stick with
>Debian?

The Apple Xserver looks pretty nice and from what I hear the price is
actually pretty reasonable even though it's an Apple product.

I use Gentoo on my laptop (not as a server, though) and I _REALLY_ like
it.  In that context it has been plenty stable.

This sounds like it might be a pretty serious application.  Can you give
us any more details?

Phil