Between your post Lyle and this from Guy:

>if defined(HAVE_ALLOCA_H) && !defined(__GNUC__)
>#include <alloca.h>
>#endif

Something struck me about the warnings with gcc 3.1:

cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
"/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system
directory

I have been able to ignore this bug/feature in the past, but guessing that
they might be the culprit, I rebuilt using gcc 2.95.3.  Sure enough, that
worked.  It appears that it simply wasn't including that header (or any?)
from /usr/include.

Trying to 'require fox' gives me ld errors, however, which I haven't tracked
down yet.  Could be because I built fox with gcc 3.1 and fxruby with 2.95.
We'll see how it goes.

Regards,

Dan