On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Tom Sawyer wrote:

> i know this is bit off topic, but since you all are my "computer family"
> i thought you would be the ones to ask.
>
> i am setting up a datacenter to host a ruby application i'm writing. i
> have to figure out what systems to use.
>
> i am debating between Apple's new XServers or more tradiational dual AMD
> rackmount boxes running Debian/Woody (or Gentoo if it proves stable).

X86 style boxes are going to generate a *lot* more heat than the
XServers.  Depending on the hardware density, this may be an issue for
you.

Another approach, depending on the required size of your data center would
be to look at Egenera BladeFrames ... these are nice boxen and run linux
(a RedHat derivative) natvely.

-pate