On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 04:45:44AM +0900, TAKAHASHI Masayoshi wrote:
> Matz announced Ruby M17N framework would be changed.
>
>   Specification:
>
>    * str[n] returns strings whose length is 1.

Won't this cause additional allocations?

>    * Notation '?A' is obsoleted.

a) What would I use instead of ?A, then?

I think you propose something like:

  if str[n] == "A" then; ... ; end

b) What issues are there with keeping the ?A notation and instead allowing
?[utf-8 character here] notation?

c) How can I write my code so that it is compatible both with Ruby 1.6 and
with the Ruby M17N framework?

>    * Encoding conversion framework for strings is introduced.
>    * Encoding conversion framework for IO is introduced.

Can you elaborate on this?

Paul