Curt Sampson <cjs / cynic.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.NEB.4.44.0208121238230.2317-100000 / angelic.cynic.net>...
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Bret Jolly wrote:
>

> > For example, the scandalous situation where many Chinese and
> > Japanese cannot write their names in unicode will have to be fixed
> > eventually...

> How many people is this, really? I note that Japanese people have been
> putting up with this "scandalous" situation for years now, and will
> continue to do so far a long time, as Shift_JIS and EUC-JP encodings of
> JIS X 208 and JIS X 212 are showing no signs of declining in use, and
> they are both fully present in the Unicode BMP.

   What is in use is determined not only by what character sets and
encodings are available, but also on how much software is available
to use them, and how aware the users are of the availability of this
software.  The software and the awareness are continually expanding.
If people know they *can* write their names correctly, they will.

   This is not just an issue of vanity.  (Nor is it personal: my Chinese
name *can* be written in the BMP. :-))  It is not just the person whose
name cannot be written who is affected, but anyone who wants to talk
about him.  For example, I understand that one of the top 5 politicians
in China has a name which does not appear in unicode.  This makes life
hard for journalists and political scholars writing in Chinese.

                              Regards, Bret
http://www.rexx.com/~oinkoink
oinkoink
at