CUNA & Affiliates
UNIX Systems Administrator
ddouthitt / cuna.coop

>>> raims / dot.com 8/11/02 12:25PM >>>
>
> Then (I have no problems switching to Ruby)
> I asked myself: " why I have to do that " ?
>
> Could anyone answer for me?

I can tell you my story...

I find OO to be the best way of thinking, and still wish I had enough time to learn (and use) SmallTalk fully.  I've always enjoyed learning new languages, and perk up when I hear of a new one.  I'd been programming in Perl 4or a long time, and when Perl 5 came along and changed everything, and claimed "OO" (which I did not see) - I never did learn to program in Perl 5. rite mostly in ksh; back then I wrote in Perl 4 occasionally.

Now, if I'm not in ksh I'm writing in Ruby.  Ruby is cleaner, is truly object-oriented, and re-visiting old code isn't nearly as difficult as Perl or other programs might be.  I find it to be more maintainable, and easier to write in.

I definitely recommend it!

----extPart_ST_08_21_20_Monday_August_12_2002_481

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4912.300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>David Douthitt<BR>CUNA &amp; Affiliates<BR>UNIX Systems Administrator<BR><A
href="mailto:ddouthitt / cuna.coop">ddouthitt / cuna.coop</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt;&gt; raims / dot.com 8/11/02 12:25PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; Then (I have no problems switching to Ruby)</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; I asked myself: " why I have to do that " ?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Could
anyone answer for me?<BR></DIV>
<DIV>I can tell you my story...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I find OO to be the best way of thinking, and still wish I had enough time
to learn (and use) SmallTalk fully.&nbsp; I've always enjoyed learning new
languages, and perk up when I hear of a new one.&nbsp; I'd been programmingn
Perl 4 for a long time, and when Perl 5 came along and changed everything, and
claimed "OO" (which I did not see) - I never did learn to program in Perl
5.&nbsp; I write mostly in ksh; back then I wrote in Perl 4 occasionally.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now, if I'm not in ksh I'm writing in Ruby.&nbsp; Ruby is cleaner, is truly
object-oriented, and re-visiting old code isn't nearly as difficult as Perlr
other programs might be.&nbsp; I find it to be more maintainable, and easier to
write in.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I definitely recommend it!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>