Justin Johnson wrote:
> Personally, I disagree.  I do a lot of C++ programming with large systems
> and one of the first standards we adopted was variable name identification.
>
> This is quite a common thing to do.  For example, our C++ classes are named
> similar to Ruby consts, our class data members are appended with '_' .  We
> use setter/getter.  And so on.

I think you misunderstand me. Since you are using setter/getter methods,
you are hiding these details, no? I merely extend this to include
internally in the class: If you have accessor methods, prefer them to
using variables, even when inside methods of the class. If the outside
shouldn't have write access, make the writer private or protected, don't
leave it out.

In C++, there is even less fear of using methods instead of variables
directly inside classes, since the performance hit can be removed by
declaring the getter and setter inline.

I am not a proponent of tossing @ out of Ruby.
I'm a proponent of reducing its usage as much as possible in ones own
code.

--
(\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_    _~_    __[ http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kentda/ ]___/~
 ))\_student_/((  \__d L b__/  NTNU - graduate engineering - 5. year  )