On 11 Aug 2002 16:12:10 -0700, Tim Hammerquist <tim / vegeta.ath.cx>
wrote:

>Yup, with an anti-Perl attitude that strong, you're definitely a
>Pythonista. =)

:-)

>Honestly, I started using Perl.  On recommendation from a Perl user on
>comp.lang.perl.misc, I tried Python and I was very pleased with how
>clean Python's syntax was.  I then looked into Ruby due to a similar
>recommendation.

Mmm my (little) Perl experience was terrible. I know that is very
powerful (especially in regular exp. and text manipulation). But when
I "met" Python (I was going to develop in Java) I claimed: "
wonderful! It has nothing wrong ;-)" [it's not true, of course]

>Ruby initially looked like a cross between Python and (*GASP!*) VB
>(because of the "end" keyword).  But I'd also heard a lot of OO
>advocates sing Ruby's praises wrt it's object model... And they were
>right!

I heard them too. I like  XP programming and TDD and other developers
suggested to me to switch to Ruby (they are Java or .NET programmers)
for improving my "OO-experience" and doing a bit of work too.
Mmm...I think that Python is a bit more widespread than Ruby, isn't
it?

>OTOH, I *LOVE* Python's indentation-based
>statement grouping!  Oh yeah, Python's threading is quirky on some
>systems.

How Ruby group statements?

>  - It supports regex's in both an object interface (a la Python) and
>    via Perl-style variables.

Very well.

>  - Ruby's object system is beautiful, elegant, and practical.  It's
>    much more "pure" (in the Smalltalk definition) than either Perl or
>    Python and allows you to retroactively modify pre-existing instances
>    of an object at runtime by modifying their class. (See
>    <http://www.unr.nevada.edu/~tahammer/hack/ruby/> for an example).

I'll take a look later. Mmm that's wonderful. OO a la Smalltalk!

>  - Its syntax contains elements of Perl's regexps, but any perceived
>    similarity to Perl's variable system is strictly coincidental. eg:
>
>                Perl                    Ruby
>                ----                    ----
>
>        var     <illegal var name>      lexical variable
>
>        Var     <illegal var name>      constant lexical variabls
>
>        $var    scalar variable         global variable
>
>        @var    array variable          object instance variable
>
>        @@var   <illegal>               class variable
>
>    Any variable can hold any type of data.  The format of the
>    variable's name merely dictates how it may be accessed.

Brrr! The above is one ot the reason making me avoiding Perl

>My only hope is that you take Ruby for what it is, and not for what it
>might resemble at a glance.

Is what I'm going to do.

--
Rhymes (rhymes / NOSPAMmyself.com)