On 8/11/02 8:25 AM, "Steven Shaw" <steven_shaw / iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> Don't forget UNO - Universal Network Objects from the OpenOffice.org
> project.
>
>   http://udk.openoffice.org/

Hot damn! I went to openoffice.org and searched around but somehow I missed
this.

> Looks better than COM. It's IDL is more like CORBA IDL in some ways - for
> instance you can define exceptions in IDL. It allows you to define services
> (components) that implement multiple interfaces.
> There's a bridge to COM/OLE on Windows platforms.

This is actually way more than I think you need but it is everything that
you could ever need. Ruby definitely needs a library to interface with this
to automate apps. The fact that you will someday be able to automate both
OpenOffice and MS Office (though the COM bridge) with this  gives it a big
leg up on becoming a portable standard.

Now the only challenge is to beat out Python as an automation language.
Should be easy. ;-).

Thanks for this reference.
--
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx