Kevin et. al.,

matz's tutorial was what got me on my feet with ruby too.  In case it's
helpful to native English speakers, I've started to piece together an
American English retranslation of it:

  http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~slagell/ruby/uguide00.shtml

It includes a rewrite of the eval.rb script with warning reports and
automatic visual indentation (in imitation of the emacs ruby mode).

  -- Mark