On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 06:50:18PM +0900, Aleksi Niemelwrote:
> David:
> > 	How can I print reports of data from Ruby incorporating
> >     graphics and fonts?
>
> Probably all these are non-existent solutions, but it might be time to start
> make these real. Here's the few different ways I can come up with now:
>
> 1) tame the beast called Mozilla, and if it doesn't print yet,
>    it will probably within few years, anyway the table, font
>    and graphics handling is all there

	Not just only print. It works very well and fast.

	Anybody knows how to use mozilla for printing html docs form other
	aplications?...

> 2) write out LaTeX and use existing, industry-standard,
>    tested-and-tried, proven technology,
>    and-here-long-buzzword-list...

	It seems a great option. I am only afraid of time of generating and
	printing de ps document.

> 3) use troff, groff or something else. But if I recall
>    correctly there's no machinery for graphics

	Discarded.

> 4) if you're under wintoys, you might rehash the solution 1)
>    and produce HTML, use OLE to automate explorer rendering
>    and printing

	Aplication must work in Win and Linux, or at least that is my
	intention.

> 5) it seems there's no extension for PDF libraries (while I
>    think I've seen something like ClipPDF on Japanese pages),
>    and PDF surely can handle whatever output you want from
>    your printer (and screen)

	is ClipPDF free?

> And finally something, which might work already, and of course is buzz-word
> compliant, elegant, and technology from the future, here already today:
>
> 6) put Ruby write the content in XML (good idea anyway), and apply
>    some automation to run some XSLT-engine to get HTML or whatever,
>    *and* use XSL-FO (Formatting Objects) and tool like FOP from
>    http://xml.apache.org/ to generate PDF.

	It seems complicated. But I'll study it.

> In any case, let the community hear where you did end up when the task is
> done.

	I'll do it.

	Thanks for your complete response.

	Greets.