Chris Gehlker <gehlker / fastq.com> wrote in message news:<B9756F6C.1FA0A%gehlker / fastq.com>...
> As part of my crusade to make Ruby an automation language I read up a little
> on COM. Microsoft and a few others claim that they have COM for most *nixen.
> I don't remember it from my Linux days, but could they be right or is this
> wishful thinking. I don't want to reinvent the wheel I Win32OLE really runs
> everywhere or could be easily adapted to do so. On the other hand, its name
> implies it doesn't.
>

> Anybody have the real story on Unix COM?

here is an old link from 1997 when it looked like Microsoft was
actually going to implement COM on unix's
(http://news.com.com/2100-1001-276190.html?legacy=cnet ). However it
looks like that never really eventuated. Still .Net is the successor
to COM in many ways and it looks like there will be at least one .Net
implementation on the various unix's ( mono or rotor ).

Ian