>> A next step would be to add a true Zaurus .ipk package, as they
>> require very little knowledge on the part of the user. On the other
>> hand, anyone wanting to hack Ruby on a Zaurus is probably not going
>> be averse to getting their hands dirty on a tar file.
>
> Some time ago this mailing list provided the following link to a Ruby
> ipk for the Zaurus:
>
> http://familiar.handhelds.org/feeds/unstable/ruby_1.6.5-1_arm.ipk.
> There are other Ruby packages there as well, including tk.
>
> I followed the above link and installed Ruby (only) on my Zaurus with
> no problems (and also no testing, so take that with a grain of salt :-)
> ).

I maintain the ipkg for ruby for iPAQ, good to hear it works on Zaurus as
well; it is at version 1.6.7 now.

  http://familiar.handhelds.org/feeds/ruby/

irb works, but libreadline doesn't. The extension gets compiled, but
it does not use the shared library at runtime...

Otherwise, it is not tuned for a PDA (amounts of cached stuff, other
dimensions that influence memory usage). The suggestion for a special
page (sourcefoge iirc) seems a bit over the top. ./configure --pda
feels better to me (or maybe plain ./configure --ram=32MB ?)