Sorry - I meant to provide at least one example of what I meant!  I'm
talking about "getprotobyname", "getprotobynumber", "getprotoent",
"setprotoent" and "endprotoent".  I found the source for these at
http://www.ajk.tele.fi/libc/code.html, though I'm not sure how old this is.
There also seems to be a minor bit of BSD specific code (the external int).

Thanks,

Dan