web2ed / yahoo.com (Edward Wilson) writes:

> What prevents Ruby from acheiving native compilation, dynamic
> typing?

Not at all.  There has been excellent, optimizing Common Lisp
compilers (generating code comparable to, and occasionally faster
than, the code generated by C compilers) for at least a decade.  I am
sure a native-code Ruby compiler would be technically possible.

> Game over, if Java or Ruby provides native compilation; it won't make
> sense to code with anything else.

For you, perhaps, but don't pretend to speak for everybody else.  As
much as I like Ruby, the language has a very long way to go before I
would prefer it over Lisp for big, complicated programs.  YMMV, as
always.

--
Tord Romstad