* Patrick Bennett (patrick.bennett / inin.com) wrote:
> Strings are admittedly a bad example (because dup or clone for a string
> works just fine), but it's an obvious litmus test.
>
> The thing is, if it's so easy to do, and it seems to 'work,' why isn't
> it already defined in Ruby?
> Any experts out there care to shed some light on the subject to a Ruby
> newbie?

I think that's because there are cases when Marshal won't work. Adding a
core feature that "sometimes works" is not something I'd do :)

Quoted from ri Marshal:

   Some objects cannot be dumped: if the objects to be dumped include
   bindings, procedure objects, instances of class IO, or singleton
   objects, a TypeError will be raised.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |