On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Tanaka Akira wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.4.44.0208060937500.429-100000 / angelic.cynic.net>,
>   Curt Sampson <cjs / cynic.net> writes:
>
> > In Japan, I have *never* met anyone outside of someone testing Unicode
> > or Unicode-based applications that has ever used a surrogate character.
>
> Because Unicode has all JIS X 0208 characters in BMP.

Yes. And also all JIS X 212 characters.

> However new
> standard JIS X 0213:2000 requires surrogate area to represent it.

Right.

> Since Unicode assigns characters in surrogate area since Unicode-3.1
> which is released in 2001, they are not widely used yet.
> I agree you, now.  But I think it will be deployed near future.

Do you really think so? I think it says a lot that the vast majority
of Japanese text processing and web pages are done in Shift_JIS, which
encodes only JIS X 208. It doesn't encode JIS X 212, much less JIS X
213. If most Japanese people during the past decade have not even felt
the need to add JIX X 212 to their character repetoire, why would they
need to add JIX X 213?

JIS X 213 is two years now; what products use it?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs / cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org