On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 01:20, Avi Bryant wrote:
> So, what are the criteria for the challenge, apart from passing the
> tests?  This obviously isn't golf, but the stats for my solution are:
>
> bytes: 139
> lines: 3
> expressions: 1
> assignments: 0

did you calculate those yourself or is there a way to get a readout of
these factors?

while we're at it i decided to run a simple speed compare just to see
how they match up. they are all pretty close. these are the fastest
reported times i got for each solution after running each one many many
times:

Transami  AviBryant  BillKelly  DavidNaseby  DavidBlack
.005810   .005827    .005831    .006141      .009374

by the way, david's is picking up a failure on:

  def test_true_3
    items = [ 1,2 ]
    rows = [ [2,1], [3,1] ]
    assert(one_in_each(items,rows))
  end

but considering it was the first one and this test came later and it was
his idea! (i think), that's okay ;-)

personally i don't see why mine came out slightly ahead as it is pretty
brute force, calculating all possible mappings and checking for valid
ones. but hey! that's cool :-)

~transami

--
~transami