> >> 3) The PickAxe book talks about "dynamic lookups." Could
> someone provide
> >> some insight on how this works?
> >
> > Dotted paths are expensive.  For example, if you have
> >
> > foo = Object.OtherObject.AndYetAnother.some_method
> >
> > then  Object has to go get a reference to OtherObject, which in
> turn must go
> > get a reference to AndYetAnother, which then invokes some_method.
>
> I got that much. It's the mechanism that remains obscure. I guess my
> question boils down to this, "If Ruby  can do these lookups at run time,
> then how come it can't do them at edit time? Why isn't IntelliSense built
> into Ruby on Windows?

The lookups aren't done by Ruby, but by the COM objects being referenced.

> Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly.

Well, you got me curious abut this (and I have to do some writing on this
topic as well!)

I poked around, and used some Visual Studio tools to peer into ShDocVW (home
of IWebBrowser) and get the IDL.
I can sent it to you, if you like.

James