* Tom Sawyer (transami / transami.net) wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 06:16, David Alan Black wrote:
> > It's too magic for my taste.  I've always thought of
> >
> >   x += n
> >
> > as exactly swappable for
> >
> >   x = x + n
>
> ever felt like that was backward? my first inclination was:
>
>    x =+ n.
>
> just an aside.

That's the syntax for the original C operators, actually.  It was
changed because it was horribly ambiguous.  For example, does "x=-x"
mean "x = 0 - x" or "x = x - x"?

--
Paul Duncan <pabs / pablotron.org>        pabs in #gah (OPN IRC)
http://www.pablotron.org/               OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562