> Would it be enough for you to catch creation of instance variables in
> each method before it returns, to do what you want with them
> (e.g. swapping their value with a wrapper of the value)?

Unfortunately, for it to be useful to me, I'd specifically need it to work in
initialize() as well.

> If so, try the following.  Beware, hacking into that class_eval is
> quoting hell, as there are two levels of weak quotes.

<very deep block of code snipped>

Wow!  By the time I feel comfortable that I completely understand that block
of code, I'll be able to put "Ruby guru" on my resume!  You obviously already
have it on yours :-).

Since it doesn't catch initialize(), it won't solve my problem, but it's
certainly given me something to think about !!

Harry O.