"Martin Stannard" <martin / massive.com.au> wrote in message
news:C1126400B227D411AC1200A00CC456B501550FBA / emailserver.massive.com.au...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to open a file using win32ole in excel:
>
>     @app = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
>     @app.visible = true
>     template = "racetemplate.xls"
>     @book = @app.Workbooks.Open(template)
>     @sheet = @book.Worksheets(1)
>
> results in the following error:
>
> (druby://127.0.0.1:9001) ./excelmaker.rb:85:in `method_missing': Open
> (WIN32OLERuntimeError)
>     OLE error code:800A03EC in Microsoft Excel
>       'racetemplate.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the
file
> name, and verify that the file location is correct.

> Has anyone got a sample of loading an xls or xlt template into Excel via
> win32ole?

My best guess is that the current directory is not what you think it is.
It will probably work if you specify the full path.

I just got the latest WIN32OLE compiled and tested it.
I got a segmentation fault on the ie.rb sample, but I could get it work on
other components.

However, my long term problem with WIN32OLE remains:
components with an optional parameter seems to not be working. I got this
document object with a Save method taking a filename and an optional second
parameter. This won't execute.

Mikkel